Thursday 11 August 2011

CRISPY DRUMSTICKS - Another Kid Friendly and Approved Recipe

This recipe was quite yummy.  The kids all liked it (after all what child doesn't like chicken that slightly resembles KFC!!).  Originally this recipe was supposed to be a low fat version, but as I was in a hurry and quite honestly couldn't be bothered skinning my chicken drumsticks, they got coated with the skin on.....extra fat and calories but hey,,,,they were yummy remember!! Lol.  I also made up a few chicken wings as well since one of the kids prefers wings.



These recipes are great because you can add extra herbs/spices to your crumbing mix, as you see fit.  This time I stuck with the recipe and they tasted fine.  Next time I may add a little more spice to it just to zing it up a little but believe me, these things disappeared at a great rate of knots in my house!!

CRISPY DRUMSTICKS

1/2 cup packet breadcrumbs
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon mixed herbs
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 tablespoon milk
8 chicken drumsticks, skinned (or not lol)
vegetable oil cooking spray

Combine the first 4 ingredients in a shallow dish, mix through well. 
Combine egg and milk in a small bowl, mixing well.


Dip each drumstick into the egg mix, then roll in the breadcrumb mixture.
Place drumsticks in a baking dish which has been sprayed with cooking spray.


Bake uncovered at 200 degrees celcius for approximately 45 minutes or until done (my oven took about an hour,,,,,don't you just love some ovens!! lol)
Turn occasionally during cooking.

I found the coating stuck to the chicken really well.  Normally when I crumb things I like to put them in the fridge for about an hour for the coating to stick but I was running late and didn't have time to do this and the crumbs stuck perfectly.

Serve with salad or veg.  As usual in our house, it is Mashed Potato and mixed Veggies (I know it is boring but hey, all the kids eat it lol and if I can get some veggies into them I will do anything!)


1 comment:

  1. This looked fried! I can't believe you actually baked it, that's fab. I will definitely give this a go. Because I can't justify frying but baking chicken is ok. Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading comments. Let me know how the recipe turns out if you try it!!!