Wednesday 3 August 2011

ANZAC CAKE - You just have to try this!

This recipe was one that I discovered a few years ago on the internet somewhere lol.  You know those days when you are just browsing different sites and think "oh that looks nice, I gotta try that".  I scrawled it down on a piece of paper (yes I know, why didn't I copy and paste???) and tried it the following week.  Since then it has been a regular in our house.  It is always lovely and moist and the icing just adds that little bit of zing to it.



Naturally my Mr14 loves it (remember the word ANZAC lol, its another mixture which I can't leave sitting on the bench for fear that he will attack it and I won't have any mixture left!!)

ANZAC CAKE

1/2 cup Golden Syrup
125 grams Butter
2 cups Self Raising Flour
1/2 cup Castor Sugar
1/2 cup Coconut (shredded or dessicated your choice)
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup Milk

Icing
60 grams Butter
1 teaspoon Honey
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1 1/2 cups Icing Sugar
1 tablespoon Hot Water


Cake

Combine Butter and Golden Syrup in a saucepan, stir over heat until smooth.


Combine sifted flour, sugar and coconut in a large bowl.
Add syrup mixture and mix well.


Using an electric beater gradually beat in the combined eggs and milk.


Pour mixture into a prepared 20x30cm cake tin (I prefer to grease and line mine) and bake at 180 degrees celcius for approximately 30 minutes.

When done the cake will look a lovely golden colour.


Now this cake is perfectly yummy just like this


But for extra oomph add the icing.  You could add whatever icing you like, but believe me, this icing is to die for when eaten with this cake!!!

Icing

Combine the butter, honey and vanilla in a bowl.


Cream it together until the butter and honey are well mixed (the vanilla will still be visible).  Gradually beat in the sifted icing sugar and hot water until smooth.  I do this by hand but you could use the electric mixer if you want to speed things up.


When smooth, ice the cake and then top off with a little shredded coconut.


This cake never lasts long in my house!!

8 comments:

  1. Oh how yummy does that cake look. Thank you so much for sharing, I am going to bake this tomorrow...

    Might even share on my blog linking back to you, if that is okay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No problem Tania :-) That would be great!

    It truly is a yummy cake. I hope you and your family enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fairy from Organised CastleMonday, 15 August, 2011

    I found this recipe on Tania's blog and just had to try it. I made the cake last night and iced it this evening. I have NEVER made icing from a recipe before but I have to agree - that icing is seriously, to die for!! Thank you so much for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad you enjoyed it!! I have another icing recipe which I will dig out at some point which is even more to die for than that one,,,,,mind you it takes a while longer to make though lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you SO much for this recipe! I have shared it with the fellow mummies of Adelaide Mummy Meetings
    (adelaidemummymeetings.com.au, and facebook.com/adelaidemummymeetings) I'll be baking this tomorrow... and probably eating it for lunch LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  7. No problem Megs, I am so glad that others have enjoyed the cake as much as my family do!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Made this cake today, it is beautiful, made it for my brothers bday, made them into 2 mini round cakes and a loaf tray, we ate a mini one prematurely to try it out and also because it was after midnight, so officially his bday, this cake is a keeper in my recipe book, thank you =]

    ReplyDelete

I love reading comments. Let me know how the recipe turns out if you try it!!!